@davepryor72 - the latest on Instagram

Monday, November 3, 2014

Popzilla - Tim Burton Tribute Show

Popzilla's Tim Burton Tribute Show is now in full swing and will be ongoing every weekend in November. Be sure to check it out live, or visit the online gallery. Special thanks to Sam Carter and the entire Popzilla crew for getting this whole thing set up!

Rothick Art Haus
170 South Harbour blvd
Anaheim CA

This was a hard show to select subject matter for because Tim's catalogue is so rich with imagery. I chose Batman characters in the end because these films were the ones that most influenced me in film school.

Each one of these is based off of film dialogue - although Batman exclaiming "Let's Get Nuts" was actually said by Bruce Wayne outside of the cowl - still my favorite Batman film line.

"Busting Batman makes me feel all...dirty"
10"x10" acrylic on canvas

"Let's get nuts!"
10"x10" acrylic on canvas

"Naked sexual charisma"
10"x10" acrylic on canvas

Here is a snapshot of some of my development. Below you can see the thumbnails worked up before painting started (all printed out for reference); sketched on the iPad with rough color and composition. I started with The Penguin, thinking that if I only had time for one of these, he'd be the one I'd want to see completed in all his grotesque glory. As I went on, I felt too compelled to complete them as a set, so I pushed forward with the three. I did have a Joker in there too - but as much as I love him, I felt the least compelled to include him. Three just seemed better than four at the time, so I pressed for the with this trio as the set.


Here's my pencil line on the canvas for Batman prior to painting


...and a bit of mid-development painting on the Catwoman


All three were drying together on the easel - awaiting their frames.


Well, there ya go Burton/Batman fans - a little homage to these characters after having them reside in my brain for roughly 25 years! 


No comments: